- ABOUT US
- PROPERTY SEARCH
- LOCAL INFO
- CONTACT US
On July 28, 1898, Gulfport was incorporated. In 1902, the harbor was completed, and the Port of Gulfport became a working seaport.
The Port of Gulfport has flourished over the years and today accounts for millions of dollars in annual sales and tax revenue for the state of Mississippi.
From its simple, humble beginnings as a lumber and port city, Gulfport has evolved into a diversified community. With about 6.7 miles of man-made white sandy beaches along the Gulf of Mexico, Gulfport is one of the fastest growing areas in the state, due in part to recent gaming activities. Home of the annual "Worlds Largest Fishing Rodeo," Gulfport is a residential community that is blessed with a strong business center.
The downtown area provides a strong mercantile center. Along the beach are historic home sites with several motels scattered throughout to accommodate the golfing and water tourist that make up a large part of the economy.
In December 1993 the City annexed 33 square miles north of Gulfport making it the second largest city in Mississippi with a land area of 62.37 square miles and a population in excess of 70,000.
Mayor George Schloegel was Chairman of the Board for Hancock Holding Company. He joined the bank in 1956, working after school in the mail room during his high school years. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of New Orleans.
He was a faculty member of the Mississippi School of Banking at the University of Mississippi and was a faculty member, trustee and past president of the Graduate School of Banking at Louisiana State University.
Click a ward to view a council member's information.
Colleges and Universities on the MS Gulf Coast: